Bougie Bologna Sandwich
Bougie Bologna Sandwich
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
French toast hugs layers of savory bologna, smoked Gouda cheese, caramelized onions, crisp lettuce, juicy tomato, all generously dressed in a luscious mayo-brown mustard sauce. This sandwich is the perfect fusion of comfort and sophistication, a gourmet twist on a classic favorite.
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
4 slices of brioche bread or other type of thick cut bread
Butter or cooking spray for the pan
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon or Brown mustard
- 8 slices of bologna
4 slices of smoked gouda cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
Shredded Lettuce and tomato slices
CARAMELIZED ONION INGREDIENTS
FRENCH TOAST INGREDIENTS
SANDWICH STUFFING INGREDIENTS
MAKE CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
Add the thinly sliced onions to the skillet and sprinkle with salt to taste
- Cook the onions slowly, stirring occasionally, to allow them to caramelize. This process may take around 20-30 minutes.
- Adjust the heat as needed to prevent the onions from burning. The goal is to achieve a deep golden brown color.
- Once the onions are soft, golden brown, and have a sweet aroma, they are caramelized.
Remove the caramelized onions from the heat and let them cool slightly before adding them to the sandwiches.
MAKE FRENCH TOAST
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, ensuring both sides are well-coated but not overly saturated.
- Melt a small amount of butter on the griddle or spray with cooking spray.
- Place the coated bread slices on the griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Once both sides are cooked, transfer the French toast to a serving plate.
In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and mustard. Set aside.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the bologna slices to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are browned and slightly crispy.
When the bologna is almost done top four slices of the bologna with one slice of smoked gouda cheese each.
- While the bologna is cooking, spread the mayonnaise and mustard mixture on one side of each bread slice.
Once the bologna is cooked and the cheese is melted, remove it from the skillet and set aside.
Place the fried bologna slices and cheese on two of the bread slices.
Add shredded lettuce, tomato slices and caramelized onions on top of the bologna.
Place the remaining bread slices on top to make two sandwiches.